This will be a two-part tutorial on how to draw the ear. Part 1 will be just the basic lines, since that’s what makes up 50% of an ear, and Part 2 will be adding dimension.
So without much further ado, let’s go ahead and get started!
1. Let’s draw the basic “C”. I like to call it a “hot guy C”, since it is broader at the top- like biceps. Haha! (Not funny? Okay…)
2. Now, we add the inner curve. It goes more diagonal on the inside, and straighter on the outer side.
3. Now we add in the little covering that’s over the ear canal. This extends at the bottom in a really curvy pattern that I can’t, for the life of me, explain!
4. Extend this line. The extended part looks quite like an enlarged, rotated version of the start of this curve!
5. Add a little stroke at the first inner curve we drew. This may be a tiny step, but it’s pretty important.
6. Finally, extend the first inner curve as in the picture below, and there you have the basic line-art for the ear.
Check out Part 2
of this tutorial to see how we add dimension to this squiggly little lima bean! 🙂