As an artist and a freelancer (really hit the double-whammy of socially accepted talents there, Srish!) I have received or seen my peers receive all of the following quotes multiple times. I’m sure most other freelancers/artists can relate.
This might soon turn into a rant.
I’m not sorry.
1. I’m sure it won’t take you more than a couple of hours!
Sure, in the same way that thinking doesn’t take you more than a couple of brain cells.
2. My x-year-old daughter/son/random-young-relative can draw just as well as you do!
Honestly, I’ve probably spent longer on individual pieces than they have on this planet.
3. Oh it’s so easy to sit in one place and draw all day, unlike a “real” job. I’m so jealous!
4. Honestly, I could do this myself…
Then do it! Seriously, why haven’t you already?? Is it maybe because you can’t….?
5. Why would you charge x-amount to just whip up some “basic” sketches?
Why would you charge x-amount to just whip up some basic accounting/law/retail??
6. If you put in half the effort, can I get it for half-price?
If I half hate you, can you completely go away?
7. I mean, you could just do it in your spare ti-
Let me stop you right there.
8. Come on, we’re (practically) family!
And yet you want me to work for you…
9. I know this isn’t what you (remotely) usually do, but just give it a shot!
10. I can’t pay you per se, but I can offer you x% of the sales it makes.
However to all the nicer, super-supportive people out there:
Thank you. You guys make it all worth it!
What are your experiences as a freelancer or an artist? Tell me! I want to rant with someone!
As always, thank you so much for reading, my lovelies, and I hope you have a demon-client-free week! ❤